The Italian Genealogical Group is dedicated to promoting Italian family history and genealogy. As a non-profit organization, we are dedicated to furthering genealogical research, through educational initiatives and the curation of resources. Established in 1993, the IGG exists to provide support for those interested in researching their Italian ancestry.
Our Research Databases are available to anyone, providing over 16 million entries of vital records, naturalization and other genealogical records.
Anyone with an interest in Italian genealogy is welcome to join the Italian Genealogical Group. Our Members range from beginners to professional genealogists, and all are welcome. Family history is an interesting, rewarding hobby that will enable you to discover your past and preserve your heritage for future generations.
Knowing our ancestors is an important link to knowing about ourselves. The genealogical research one does will help in reclaiming and honoring that proud legacy.
Although IGG does not do the research for you, we work hard to provide our Members with an array of resources and guides to assist you in your research.
No matter where you live, Membership has benefits!
All Members receive our nationally-honored monthly newsletter containing detailed information on resources and methods. 10 issues per year, issued from September-June. Based on your membership type, you’ll receive either a PDF or printed version. Click here for a sample.
Members in the New York area are encouraged to attend our monthly meetings, held every second Saturday of the month from September-June in Bethpage, NY. Our meetings are highlighted by informative programs and speakers on a variety of genealogical topics. Handouts and the exchange of genealogical events, websites and publications as well as research tips are readily available. Meeting attendees can also take advantage of in-person mentoring, a help desk, as well as an extensive lending library with books, magazines, CDs and DVDs.
Part of the fun of being a Member of the IGG is participation in outside events with other Members. Participate in our cemetery crawl, tours, genealogy events, annual Christmas luncheon and Italian festivals.
IGG Membership also includes a variety of online features, including:
- Church Databases: In addition to our public research databases, Members have exclusive access to research compiled by our Members
- Over 250 past IGG newsletters: The IGG newsletter includes research stories, helpful tips and articles by our expert Members. Every issue since 1993 is available in our archive for viewing or download.
- 25 years worth of POINTers newsletters: From 1987 until 2013, POINT (Pursuing Our Italian Names Together) served as the largest Italian genealogical organization in the United States. These issues include an updated listing of all surnames entered into the database since the previous issue and the names and addresses of those who submitted those current surnames, plus news items and items of Italian genealogical or historical significance that have been sent by readers.
- Videos of past IGG presentations: The IGG has had many memorable and informative presenters. This archive provides video documentation of some of our best presentations.
- Handouts from past IGG presentations: Many of the presenters at our monthly meetings provide handouts for the attendees. Some of our most useful handouts are available in this archive for viewing or download.
- Surname Database: Our Surname list has over 11,000 entries. Members may contact other Members regarding matching surnames.
- Maps of Italy: A contemporary map of provinces and regions, including abbreviations, along with a series of historical maps of Italy
- Wall of Remembrance: Members are invited to memorialize an immigrant family or family Member by contributing a family story. Stories will be posted on our Wall of Remembrance and Members will have access to all stories that are submitted. This is an example way to make sure that your ancestor is not forgotten.
Become an IGG Member today!
Subscription memberships will auto-renew for convenience. Your membership will automatically renew one year from your join date. You are free to cancel this renewal at any time and retain full membership access for the remainder of your one year membership.
Members who choose to pay by check should select a one-time membership. You will have the option to renew your membership at the end of the one year term if you choose.